here we go!
It's unbelievable how many weeks have flown by and I have yet to do anything in this class. But there was a good excuse, I was studying for my Nursing Boards. It's been real difficult to remember things, since I graduated in 2003, but I just kept trying to open up that dusty ol' cobwebbed brain of mine and get it to cough up some of that info it used to carry.
The test itself was mind-boggling. The biggest thing I feared were math questions, as I hadn't used any medicine-math and had to brush up on that just the night before the big test! Well, the man turned on the computer and set up the exam, and what do you think was the first question on the test? Heparin math!! I sat still for ten minutes, begging God to help me pass.
As the test wore on, my nerves were fried, and my sleep-deprived mind started to say "yeah, yeah, just pick that one, that sounds right!" without me thinking the question through, I just knew I was done. I had it. I knew I failed. I couldn't even think straight. I had a mental block. My eyes were going over the questions over and over, without comprehending what it was asking. It was truly scary, because I have never been a bad test- taker. Now I finally understood my former classmates who had anxieties. I was living it.
One question asked about what was the best diet for a patient with celiac disease. Well... what in the world is celiac disease? Hmmm, I remember it had something to do with the GI tract, or digestion or something like that, so I see that one of the choices was oats and wheat and I thought, "why YES, fiber is good for your GI tract! That's the best!" I picked it. After I got home, I researched all the questions I could remember, and I saw that OATS AND WHEAT ARE TOXIC TO PATIENTS WITH CELIAC DISEASE!! I was wrong, so wrong! How many patients could I have hurt on my test that day?? Question after question, I found out I was wrong more often than not, so it seemed. I was certain I failed. Three days of depression. All I could do was think what a failure I was. I told everyone and anyone who asked me, and even those who didn't, I failed. I tried so hard, but I failed.
Well, then Saturday came, and with it came the fateful envelope...that said I passed! Nothing could have made me happier at that moment, I passed! I PASSED! Yipppeeeeeee!! I jumped and squealed so enthusiastically that the dog went beserk too! Now i am a bonafide true blue registered nurse!
Thank you, Lord, for helping me pass!