My Day...
First thing is to check email. Pastor's wife wrote to ask if I could share my testimony at the Mother-Daughter banquet. Nevermind that I have no daughters! She said they already "sponsored" me so I don't have to pay. But I think we will be in Anaheim then, I sure HOPE SO. I was literally getting that knot in my stomach and writhing around, moaning no no no. Just the thought of having to stand up in front of people and speak... makes me shudder.
Hubby didn't think spending his day off watching me read blogs was gonna be fun so he said let's go surfing. YES! I can try out my new bikini : )
We get there and it's overcast. He insists I go first and it takes 5 minutes just to get my toes wet. I'm standing there, complaining to myself "it's so cold, it's SO cold!" and a couple of tourists hear me and say "THIS is cold??? You don't know what cold is. Try surfing San Francisco!" Time to buck up and get in....slowly. I decide to at least catch a few waves then come in and warm up.
There were only three of us on this break, and as soon as I get there, a big wave came and the two other guys catch it. I was left. Alone. Way outside. In murky water. (Cue the Jaws music now) Nevermind the dork factor, I laid down straight on my board. I don't mind dangling my feet in when there's more of us, I figure that the men make for meatier, tastier meals than I, and sharks would know the difference, wouldn't they?
Anyhow, this is how it always is after a long time of not surfing, I just have to get back into the groove. And my first wave is a guarantee bust. I WILL fall on the first one. It's just my ritual. And I did. And I forgot that while getting ready at home, I had found money on the counter from yesterday and stuffed it into my bikini top for food money for today, because I had no pockets. Well, some lucky turtle out there is 9 dollars richer, I forgot to take the money out and it fell out : (
Well then this guy comes paddling over from the other break, and we were already talking about him because he's doing something that's becoming all the rage now, it's called
Stand-up surfing. Umm, as opposed to what? Aren't we doing stand-up surfing too? I said, you gotta get a new name for this sport! So, we're talking and he asks me if I want to try it. DO I!!!! We traded boards. Basically, you have a large tandem board and a very
long paddle You stand up the entire time. Not in a surfing stance, your feet are side-by-side on the board and you have to keep your balance and paddle into waves and catch them. It's SO FUN. And much harder than it looks. But the guy was impressed, he said people usually take a whole day just getting the balancing part of it. That people usually just keep falling and never get around to catching waves. Well, then I'm hooked! Catching waves was REALLY hard, because it would come and knock me off my feet. Two hours later...I realized hubby might not be so happy with me because he's got the babies on the beach, he still hasn't had his turn to surf, and he only had one hour left until time for his basketball games...I just kept saying "just one more then I will go in..." THAT'S when you know you are having fun, when you just can't come in!
He had his revenge, he left us there while he drove to Olowalu to surf. And HE took two hours too! But the babies were having fun so good thing. Isaiah kept collecting rocks and moving them from here to there. It was really funny. Elijah, he just liked to play in the water the entire time. We had a loaf of bread and fed the fish and the birds, which the babies found hilarious.
Now I have to rinse off and get the boys from the bus stop, then get Noa to Taekwondo. We have SIX days left till we leave for the tournament!
And so what if I tell you we're going on vacation, for all you would-be thieves out there...we have a pit bull, some big Hawaiians in the house behind us, and nothing to steal ANYWAY.
: )