Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
  Friends
Aside from my old high school gang
and my church friends
(and nursing program friends)
I have never had a group of girls to hang out with
all of my other friends are "singular" friends--meaning--I have lunch or do stuff with one friend or another, never a group of friends together.
I read about, and see on tv (like Sex in the City--which I've actually never watched--or Desperate Housewives) groups of women who are mutual friends, and they hang out and know and care about each other.
How did they get to be mutual friends?
(My "singular" friends don't have much in common with each other so I wouldn't get try to get them together.)
I've always wondered how great groups of friends were formed, outside of school and church?
I mean, how is it that a particular group gels together to become best buddies forever?
My high school friends still all hang out together (I moved to another island) It makes me sort of sad.
I kind of miss it. The shenanigans. The goofiness. That feeling of being a part of something.
But then again, I honestly enjoy one-on-one conversations with "singular" friends more.
I just wish I had a gang again...I feel like I'm missing something.
How did you meet your best buds?
 
Comments:
My "gang" was all boys in High School. (Besides myself. LOL.) Is that weird? My last girl "gang" was way back in 6th grade probably. When I see shows like Sex in the City I also feel lonely and jealous. Heck, I'd be happy to have one best friend who is not my hubby, mother or sister! LOL. I'm just too shy. When I start to feel a connection with someone I back away a bit and won't go that extra leap by asking them to go shopping together or something. Maybe I'm just scared of rejection. I don't know.
 
The one group of friends that I get together with is from high school. I am the only one that is married with a baby. Two of them are engaged but still, their lives differ from mine so much - like Diana said. My best friend I also met in school, she is currently pregnant so maybe we will have more in common. I have recently gotten together with the playgroup in my neighborhood several times for dinner and girls outings. BUT I just don't feel that close connection and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe I make it all up in my head that they see me differently because I am a lot younger than they are. I am just now turning 21 and the youngest besides me is 25, the rest are late twenties and early thirties. I have recently distanced myself from them because I just don't feel like I belong.

So if you ever figure out where to make a great group of friends let me know because I would love to do so! LOL! Until then...I've got ya'll!
 
I don't have a group, either. The people I've met since I've been a mom I have met at either a mom's club or our homeschool co-op. It can be hard to meet new people with whom you really feel a connection. Hubby doesn't really have any close friends, either. Good thing we are each other's best friend!
 
it's so weird... we are all the same. i belonged to a girl group in high school (went to an all-girls school) and in college, most of my friends were girls. but we started drifting apart when i met my hubby, i was the only one who had a boyfriend back then. and when i got pregnant, the gap just got bigger. we barely talk, and it's funny that they run to me when they have serious problems in life 'coz they see me as someone "older".

right now, my sisters are my best friends. sadly, i moved away from them. now, i don't have anyone. so sad... i actually get more interaction with you guys. so you could say that you are my group of friends now.
 
The last time I was part of a female group of friends where we went out together alot and such was back in college. There were 4 of us and we rented a house together for a couple of years. We are all the same age too. I'm still best friends with C, who I mention in my blog. I'm not as close to T and M though. I still am in contact with M now and then because she's still close to C. :) Ah, the dynamics. LOL

Anyway, C and I are still single (and without kids) whereas T and M are married with little ones. I noticed that over the course of time, we simply drifted apart because of different lifestyles, priorities and such. I have close single and married girlfriends in different parts of CA that I still get together with...mostly gals I became friends with after meeting them thru work, etc. Anyway, now I'm rambling. :) Interesting topic, Sandy!
 
I worked with three of my close friends (Susan, Tony and Jae). One is a former neighbor (Tracey). And my most recent is a fellow blogger (Grace).
 
Coming from a small town is different, I guess. We all know each other and there's always someone to hang out with. Even if you venture out alone, you end up with one or two others (sometimes more)joining up with you.

My question is why wouldn't you try a group get-together with your "singular" friends? You never know, they might be just different enough to be intersted in each other.
 
Dawn--yeah, me too...
Diana--If you come to hawaii you'd still be a "singular" friend!!lol! But come anyway, we can make ourselves a group...we'll go on the beach and say "you wanna be in our group?" lol!
Tee-Wow, at least you have a sister! I don't see you as shy. See? Even more stuff I didn't know about you!
Taylor--I get together with my high school friends for weddings, showers, baby luau's and other "big" events that we fly over for, but I really miss the weekend hanging out stuff. It's good you still have that, even if you are in different seasons in your life.
Jana--Yeah, at least we have our hubbies!
Xtessa--You know what, this theme we all share...drifting from our high school groups, maybe it's something that just happens! We got older, and went in different directions. So how is it these "Sex in the City" women found each other and share so much in common? That's funny that you guys say that we have each other, because it's actually TRUE, we know each other and are a group! lol! YOU are my gang, folks! Now, when's that dinner and movie date?? lol
Marie--So, do you and these friends ALL get together or do you go out with them one at a time? Sounds like you have a lot of fun either way though!
J--Tony as in Sweetie Tony?? And do you, Susan, Tony, and Jae all hang out together?
Kerri--That's cool Kerri. I actually have two friends that I had over my house a couple of times together, because they both enjoy Thai food like me. So we ate and it was fun, but it's not like we're all three the best of pals, you know? They are so different. But aren't we all?
 
Hi Sandy!! I love the new look for your blog!! (well, I don't know if it is so new . . . just cause I haven't been online for a while!!) but it is cute!! I have moved so much in my life that I too think that it is cool when HS friends still hang out and have deep rooted friendships. Now in my life, I LOVE the girls in my neighborhood. We actually have a BUNCO group where we get together once a month to play and EAT!! I love it and it has kept us all close!!
 
OK Girls - for all of you who wish you had but don't have a close group of friends that you can call at 3 am and say "come, now" and they say "I'm on my way" NOT, "why?"....

for all you girls who wish you had but don't have a close group of friends who you can tell everything too, who will give you well thought out advice, who you can share all parts of your life with here is some advice from a woman with lots of friends who I can --

Go to church. Find a church you love. Find a church where the gospel of Jesus Christ is taught .(I do not mean Sceintology) Go to a church where the music will soothe your soul, the preaching will feed your spirit and the friends you make there will last a lifetime.

Church will add a whole new dimension to your life. And if you have children - they need to go too.

Stepping down off my box now - but think about it. It's a good idea.
 
Sandy - I usually go out with maybe 2 girl friends at a time. I think because we're all spread out all over the state, it's harder to get frequent "group" gatherings. :) But I do enjoy the time I do get to spend with my girl friends whether it's one-at-a-time or in a group.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
||  Contact  ||  Home  ||

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / July 2010 /

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Blogroll Me!

« # SAHM Bloggers ? »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger



Image hosted by Photobucket.com