Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
  Straight Shooter

Z, with NO IDEA what is about to befall him. It's such a novelty...all these nurses fawning over him, a new set of threads with cartoon characters, and new toys to keep him distracted...what could be better than that?





He's starting to get a little bit wary...lots of things he's not so sure about...that silly hat, the vitals-taking, that oral medication that's making feel a little loopy...

After surgery, 30 minutes of ear-splitting screaming, and a few extra doses of Demerol, he calms down. They won't let us go until he pees. He's in so much pain, he's definitely holding it in. Tons of IV fluid, apple juice, half a can of soda, and two hours later...we were good to go.

(the nurse's idea to take a pic of us together, I love how he looks so sweet and vulnerable)
The doctor lied, he said the first time he pees he may cry a LITTLE, then the next time a little less, and the third time maybe not at all. But he SCREAMS EVERY SINGLE TIME he pees!

It was such a strange feeling leaving the hospital--like when the babies were preemies--and we were so immersed in the intensity of it and so emotionally wasted, that when we left the hospital to do laundry, eat, or find a friend that was home to use their shower, it was amazing to see that the world did not stop like ours did. That time continued on without us. That people were driving around in their cars going on with their lives as if nothing earth shattering was happening! Hey YOU there, cruise-ship-tourist-walking-down-Ka'ahumanu-Avenue, how can you be doing something as meaningless as SHOPPING while my son was having a metal ROD shoved up his penis, tearing a nice, big slit into it?


But I know that tomorrow it will be better, and next week it'll be thing of the past and it's all good--he's finally a straight shooter! No more peeing all over the floor and wall for him!
 
Comments:
Oh, Sandy! I'm so sorry he had to go through this. But at least it was a fixable problem and they did it while he is still young. Kids are so resiliant. He'll bounce back quick and your memories of the whole ordeal will last longer than his. *hugs*
 
i agree with kerri, it'll be a distant memory for him in the next few days.;)
 
Sandy, God bless you and your son. I know it stinks, but like Kerri said, it's fixable and he's still young.

**hugs**

Hope everyone feels better soon!
 
Oh.....I feel so bad for him!!!! Poor thing!!!! ***Hugs***
 
Big Hugs to you both!
 
Hugs girlfriend. And hey, my eldest son had a hernia when he was a baby. We used the surgery as an excuse to have him re-circumcised as they did a lousy job the first time. He was NOT a happy camper when he came home. I think there is a reason they do that when they are a groggy newborn. Anyway, my dad was in Israel at the time and get this, he found a postcard of hieroglyphics of a guy getting the same thing done!!! He sent it to us for my son's baby album... it says "noone should have to get this done TWICE!" Some day I might show it to him. He's 14 though. He's still too young to talk about it. :D LOL.

Hope your son recovers quickly. Oh, and I'm tagging you, but don't feel obligated. I know you're busy... just wasn't sure if you wanted a distraction. :) Just know I thought of you!
 
It puts things totally in perspective when you have a crisis in your life--and normal goes away--to see some tourist shopping--their world is continuing, but yours has stopped at least for the moment! Good insights there.

Glad he has this fun thing behind him--hopefully he won't remember it all very soon!

JB
 
{{{{HUG}}}} I'm happy it went well. The pain will hopefully subside soon and someday he won't remember this at all. The pictures hurt my heart. What a sweetie. (And you look beautiful as always.)

I've had those same kind of thoughts about the world going on when you have something that sets YOUR world on it's side.

Prayers for Isaiah!
 
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry for you and your baby. I know how you feel looking at people going about their life when yours has seemingly stopped. In some ways, though, it's reassuring to know that life does carry on.

(hugs)
 
How's the recovery coming along?

Just wanted to let you know I tried my best to answer your question in my comments. If I wasn't clear enough, I'll try again. :o)
 
Oh my gosh...poor baby! :( He looks SO, SO sweet too. I just want to give him big hugs. I hope his recovery goes well and that he doesn't have pain anymore.
 
He's such a cutie. Man, your post had me tearing up big time! That comment about the tourist being so happy and carefree, all the while not knowing what your son (and YOU) are going through, is so true. Isn't life odd? No matter where you go, where you are, what time of day it is, someone around you is probably suffering. Scary thought.

Best wishes to the little Guy and give him an extra kiss on his adorable forehead for me, please.
 
I have been out of town for evah!! We left Aug. 21st, and just got back today! Now I am catching up!

I hope your little man is feeling better now. I cringe when I think about it! Hugs to him!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
||  Contact  ||  Home  ||

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / July 2010 /

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Blogroll Me!

« # SAHM Bloggers ? »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger



Image hosted by Photobucket.com