Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wednesday, September 07, 2005
  This one doesn't make me blush...
I noticed that a lot of my content about the past is about embarrassing stuff, huh?! I guess it makes me look pretty bad, if that's all you know. So I want to share some good memories.
I don't know where to start, though! In high school, I had the bestest group of friends. We had a lot of fun. I can proudly say that if anyone wanted to have fun, they knew to turn to me! I had a car and no curfew (WHAT were you guys THINKING, mom and dad?!)
My favorite memories were of a whole bunch of us meeting at the beach and having bon fires. We'd go to all the football games, even though I had no idea what was going on and could never see where that darn ball was, I'd just cheer when my friends did.
My favorite concerts were the Hawaiian or Reggae ones at the Waikiki Shell. Steel Pulse, Ziggy Marley, C&K, man, those were the best! I would always wear my tie dye Bob Marley shirt, lol.
We'd go "scrambling" at the old kaka'ako point. It was just huge dirt piles and we'd zoom around like crazy in there. Which is truly nuts because on one side it was just a little cliff and then ocean. Once, I crashed my car into a dirt hill and it would only drive in reverse after that.
We had a code name for stuff, I can only remember two, we'd meet up and say "you want to go Ghunting or Bunting?" Bunting was boy-hunting, which consisted of driving down the Waikiki strip over and over. At stop lights, we'd play Chinese fire-engine where everyone would get out, run around the car and hop back in before the light turned green.
Ghunting was ghost-hunting. There are so many ghost legends here and we'd go give ourselves a scare by testing them. We'd go to Morgan's Corner, where someone supposedly hung themselves. Or to the Manoa cemetary where there were no lights, then up the mountain to Tantalus where you can see Manoa cemetary and see hundreds of tiny lights (still haven't figured how that could be!) Another scary place was Baby's Cry, where you'd walk along a rocky coastline and hear dozens of babies crying from every direction, it was so freaky, really. The noise actually was just from a type of bird, but the story was it was the dropping off place into the spirit world and ancient Hawaiian mothers had lost some (or sacrificed) babies there. If you walked far enough, there was a salt water pool and the crazy ones would swim there. One of the freakiest places was 13 bridges, where no man has EVER successfully come out of, supposedly, so it was a challenge. It was a very deep, rural PRIVATE and winding one-lane road with 13 bridges, we'd count them as we passed each bridge. It got scarier and scarier with each bridge, with so many warning signs, no lights, and high brush. Once, when we decided once and for all we were going to go all the way, we got chased back by some huge attack dogs and we had to high-tail it out of there in REVERSE, screaming all the way. Someone screamed that there was a guy with a rifle. We never went back. There were a LOT of ghunting places to occupy our weekends.
Sometimes we went ice-blocking. They used to make ice available in big blocks that cost just a few dollars. We'd go to a golf course in the middle of the night and slide down the hills on our blocks. You had to wear two pairs of pants and a sweater on your butt or it was miserable.
We did normal things too, like bowling or go to the movies. Or we'd all chip in and rent a hotel room. I miss those days of having so much fun and being spontaneous!
What's your best memory?
 
Comments:
Hello, great stories. I love the ice-blocking idea. It sounds like something we would have done in high school. We once "borrowed" big wheels from someone's front yard, then took turns riding them down all the hills in town. One person would drive in back with a car so that no one would run over us. It was so fun and so dumb. We went so fast that I wore holes all the way through the soles of my shoes trying to stop. I found your site through a comment at soapbox.superstar yesterday. You have a great looking family! I read a few of your posts yesterday and look forward to reading more.
 
Oh I love that! You sound like so much fun, Sandy!
 
I can't think of any childhood stories as fun as yours!
 
When our children were all gone from the house!
 
My favorite memories are of playing in the hay barn that belonged to the farm behind our neighborhood. The farmer was this sweet old bachelor named Ed, and we were all his grandkids. He made the best homemade fudge on Halloween, too.
 
OMG...what fun you had!! I grew up in the midwest and the most fun we had was cow tipping and sitting in the middle of a cornfield with a bonfire. OOH and cruising that was fun too! Once I did the chinese fire drill with my friend Donna and we ran right into each other, it was so funny. BAM head on!! DUH!!
 
I love your stories Sandy! I moved a lot growing up so I have a lot of random memories with different groups of people! I used to LOVE telling (somewhat true) ghost stories and freaking ourselves out! My mom owned an ice cream store too and my friend and I used to sneak in it in the middle of the night an PIG OUT on icecream!!! YUMMMM! Oh, if only I could burn it off now like I did then!! LOL
 
You brought back memories of the chinese fire drills. OMG we thought we just so cool. Cruising around town and then jumping out of the car. Don't you wonder how we got to be the age we are. I grew up in a small town in the Midwest where we played kick the can a lot. Our house backed up to a very steep cliff which my sister slid half way down one dark night while playing our night time games. We had to lie to our parents and tell them she ran into the side of a house. She was pretty scratched up. I don't remember how she explained the scratches up the middle of both her legs.
 
Aloha Sandy,

I'm a little late, but thought I'd stop by and say Hi courtesy of Tutu Bent! I haven't had a chance to read much, but definitely enjoyed what I have read so far! :)

PS Congrats to the little one on his trophy!
 
ROFL. My kids did the same things! They used to go to Morgan's all the time and they used to hang out at Likelike Drive Inn at all hours. They liked doing the same things you did. I enjoyed the stories and it brought back memories of my kids when they were younger. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face.
 
Great memories. I feel the same way!!! I was always the one who could "get the party started" just having cheap fun!!!
 
~wistful sigh~... If there was a machine that could take me back in time to wherever I wanted right now, I'd go back to being a teenager and be your friend. What great memories. I don't have any fantastic memories as a teen. I was a rebellious and angry loner during those years... My happy memories are from childhood/elemtary school days. I hated being a teenager.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
||  Contact  ||  Home  ||

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / July 2010 /

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Blogroll Me!

« # SAHM Bloggers ? »

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger



Image hosted by Photobucket.com